Environmental Statement
Industry Links
How To Guides
Technical Specifications Terms and Conditions



Acorn – A piece of decorative millwork that complements an acorn pediment or can be placed on top of a newel post cap. The acorn looks similar to what the name implies an acorn and comes in half-round and full-round styles.

Acorn Pediment – Triangle shaped broken pediment with a semi-round center and an acorn ornament. The Acorn Pediment stacks on top of a door crosshead that is usually installed on top of a doorway entrance.

Adhesive – Substance capable of holding material together by surface attachment; it is a general term and includes many adhesives inclusive of glue.

APPLIQUE – Detailed ornament that can accent a wall or ceiling application.

Arch End Cap – A divider or spline accent that separates the arch and the straight linear moulding. They can also be called shoes.

Arch Moulding – Half-round arch that surrounds half-round windows or half-round pediments. Flat arch moulding consists of a flat profile; and decorative arch moulding consists of a shaped profile. All arches have a full complement of straight linear mouldings to match.

Arch Pilaster – The pilaster profile matches the profile of the arch. The Arch Pilaster is used in conjunction with the arch as a vertical door/window casing.

Art Deco – A style of decorative art from the 1920’s and 1930’s marked by the use of geometric designs and bright colors.

~ back to top ~

Ball – Rounded profile ornaments used primarily for topping newel post caps.

Baluster – A support that is shaped like a long narrow vase, supporting a hand rail in the banister. Fastened to the railing members, these balusters are structurally supported by aluminum pipe to assure their rigid and structural integrity.

Balustrade – A barrier system which includes handrails, newels and balusters.

Barrier Coat – The first coat of protective paint surface that acts as a mould release, and also forms the moulded-in protective skin of the finish urethane product. The barrier coat also prepares the urethane foam part to accept a paint finish.

Base – Moulding applied around the perimeter of a room at the point of intersection of the wall and finish floor; base shoe is generally used with it, forming a two member base. The Base is also known as baseboard, mopboard or skirting.

Bead – A semi-circular or rounded profile; also a small moulding to secure glass or panels to a door.

Bead and Cove – A combination of a Bead and a Cove profile.

Bondo – Automotive type filler putty used to patch and cover countersunk fastener holes, seams and damaged urethane foam products. Bondo works better than a wood filler putty due to the elastic properties of the material.

Bottom Trim – A trim moulding accessory that can be added to the bottom of a door or window crosshead to create a taller crosshead with more detail.

Bracket – A decorative interior or exterior piece that can be used on porches, cornices or as part of gable end decoration. Brackets can be used to support or hide joints between mouldings and the wall. They can be used to embellish doorways and for supports on shelving or hanging objects.

Breastboard – The bottom flat area of a door/window crosshead. The ending digits of the item number indicate the width of the door/window crosshead.

Breastboard Dimension – The bottom width of the Breastboard of a door/window crosshead.

Brickmould – The moulding of Louvers, window and exterior door frames that abuts the exterior facing material of the structure; serves as the boundary moulding for brick or other siding material.

~ back to top ~

Cap – The top portion above a fluted, plain, paneled, or double paneled pilaster. Also used as the upper member of an entrance, wainscot or partition.

Cast Moulding – Manufacturing process by which a product can be duplicated many times over from an original master.

Caulking – Compound for filling joints to prevent leakage of water and air. Weather proof caulking is made of a silicone base.

Ceiling Medallion – An ornamental round ceiling accent, sometimes used as a trim collar for ceiling fans or hanging lights. A Ceiling Medallion can be used in a sequence to create intersecting ceiling and wall designs.

Chair Rail – A moulding that is used to define the lower section of the wall, and to protect the wall from being scraped by furniture. When used in conjunction with paneling or wainscoting, the Chair Rail serves as a ornamental cap.

Colonial – A style of architecture and ornamentation of the British Colonies in America in the 17th and 18th centuries. Attributes are well proportioned, formal composition, robust ornamentation, and wood trim vigorously carved to produce pleasant shadows.

Column – A supporting or decorative pillar used in building.

Combination Unit – Various styles of pediment and crosshead combinations available are moulded as one piece for faster installation. Combination units have a slightly smaller projection dimension than a two-piece pediment assembly.

Corbel – A massive bracket.

Corner Strip Moulding – Mouldings used in the outside edge finishing of a specific application such as, bay windows, bow windows, inside, outside corners of a window installation, etc.

Cornice – Prominent horizontal projection moulding that crowns the wall. Moulding such as crown, bead and cove applied to cornice construction.

Countersink – Area where a fastener is recessed below the surface of the millwork.

Cover Moulding – Moulding with a concave profile used primarily where two members meet at a right angle. A Cove Moulding has a rounded inside corner opposite to a bull nose.

Crosshead – Decorative form that is used to top a door or window consisting of a breastboard with a crown moulding surrounding the top portion, and moulded together as one piece. Crossheads come in heights from 6” to 18”. A variety of accessories can be added to complement a simple crosshead.

Crown Moulding – Moulding used on a cornice or wherever an interior angle is to be covered. A sprung moulding is used where two surfaces meet at an angle and is usually applied wherever a larger angle is to be covered.

Custom Design Product – A product developed using the creation of an original pattern whether it is a new product or a replication of an existing piece. Any custom piece will be quoted on an individual project basis.

~ back to top ~

Decorative Louver – A non-ventilating louver that is to be used as a decorative building accent.

Density – The weight of a substance per unit volume and measured in pounds per cubic foot. Urethane foams can vary for different applications.

Dentil Block – A smaller rectangular block which can be spaced closely together in a series or in a sequence with moulding or by itself.

Dentil Moulding – A series of small square blocks uniformly spaced and projecting like teeth as used in a cornice, front entrances and crossheads.

Divider Moulding Block – A spline accent block that is placed at the seam of a moulding run. Some can also cap the end of a moulding run.

Door Casings/Window Casings – To case in a door or window is to enclose it with a moulding or series of mouldings. They are termed casings and included in the repertoire of most millwork suppliers. Casings range from simple beaded boards to highly complex series of profiles. In addition to mouldings, window or door casing might include such elements as corner blocks, a keystone, and base blocks.

Door Crosshead – Ornamental form that resembles a lintel, which is a horizontal beam across the top of a door or window. The portion of the entrance system that is placed above the door opening.

Door / Window Moulding – Trim moulding used as part of door or window casing. Often used in conjunction with a door or window crosshead and rosettes.

Durability – Permanence or resistance to deterioration.

~ back to top ~

Eave – The overhanging lower edge of a roof. The margin or lower part of a roof projecting over the wall.

Egg and Dart – Moulding design using an egg and dart alternately. The egg is said to represent life, and the dart death.

Elliptical – An elliptical arch is shaped like an elipse (which is a closed plane curve that is oval in shape).

E-Vent(Eave Vent) A soffit ventilation system which serves a dual purpose combining the attractiveness of a moulding profile and the function of attic ventilation. The E-Vent installs as one unit.

E-Vent Corner – (Inside, Outside) Accurate 45° pre-mitered, two-piece corners that match up to straight linear E-Vent mouldings.

E-Vent Filler Block – Pre-formed filer block used to give additional support to the E-Vent moulding.

E-Vent Joining Block/End Cap – Used as a divider spline between linear moulding joints. Protrudes ¼” from trim profile. Can also cap the end of a linear moulding run.

~ back to top ~

Fabricated – A product taken from stock as shown in the catalog then cut, seamed and assembled to a custom size or designed as requested by the customer.

Fascia Moulding A trim moulding that is applied to a fascia board (horizontal facing board just below the edge of a roof line). A flat board, band or face, used sometimes by itself, but usually in combination with mouldings, often located at outer face of cornice.

Finial – Ornament at the top of a gable or spire, or at the end of certain structures.

Fishscale – A scalloped overlapping shingle style of ornamentation used as a façade or gable decoration in late Victorian and Colonial houses.

Flat Trim – A moulding that has no decorative profile moulded in.

Flute – One of the long, parallel, rounded, decorative grooves on the shaft of a pilaster or moulding.

Frieze Board – A decorative, often sculptured, horizontal band along the upper part of a building or a wall in a room. In house construction, a horizontal member connecting the top of the siding with the soffit of the cornice.

Functional Louver – A functional louver with open slats in the back of the louver to allow ventilation into the attic area. Every Apex functional louver has a non-corrosive screen backing that also keeps insects out while allowing maximum airflow between the slats.

~ back to top ~

Gable Pediment – A decorative accent used to cover the joint between the gable end of a house and its roof. A Gable Pediment will take the place of cornice mouldings on the exterior of many early-to-mid Victorian houses.

Gingerbread – Lavish or superfluous ornamentation especially in architecture.

Glazing and Filler Putty – A substance used to fill small imperfections. It is also used to fill in and smooth the raw edges of the foam.

Gothic Arch – A form of pointed arch over a doorway or a window. A Gothic arch is a form of architectural style prevalent in Western Europe from the 12th through the 15th centuries.

~ back to top ~

Jamb – The top and two sides of a door or window frame which contact the door or sash.

Jamb Extension – (Sub-Jamb) A jamb like member, usually surfaced on four sides, which increases or extends the width of a door frame jamb. Sub-jambs imply a larger width than “jamb liners.” They can be used with window units.

Jamb Liner – A small strip of wood, either surfaced on four sides or tongued on one edge, which, when applied to the inside edge of a window jamb, increases the width.

Jambs Reveal – The exposed surface of a jamb next to the door or window. The margin visible between the window or door jamb and the surrounding trim or casing.

J-Channel – An Accessory available through siding manufacturers for installing trim work. J-channels are butted up against the trim work allowing the siding to be cut and fit into these channels.

J-Channel, Flexible – Used as J-channel; however, the liner is flexible to follow curved shapes.

~ back to top ~

Keystone – Traditionally the topmost member of an arch. Most often appears as part of an entryway surround or window crosshead. Keystones are available in two different styles.

~ back to top ~

Louver – A building component installed into the side wall to allow ventilation and/or decoration on a building. Louver styles may be square, rectangle, triangle, quarter or half round, etc.

Louver Trim – One-piece of moulded trim that surrounds various shapes of a louver giving the louver the appearance of a more massive building component.

~ back to top ~

Master – An original piece from which copies can be made.

Moulded Edge – The edge of a piece machined to any profile other than square or eased edge.

Moulding – An ornamental strip used to decorate a surface, often used to accent or emphasize the ornamentation of a structure and to conceal surface or angle joints.

Moulding Block – (Inside,Outside) A moulded corner system that eliminates the need for difficult angled cuts. Lineal mouldings can be easily butted up to these preformed corners.

Mull – A term used to join two or more windows at the jamb or door side lights to the door unit.

~ back to top ~

Niche – A wall recess traditionally used to display a sculpture or ornamental object.

Non-Penetrating Stain – A type of stain formulated to lie on top, and not soak into the open pores of a surface.

~ back to top ~

Order Acknowledgment – Upon receiving an order via fax, our customer support staff will enter your order and send an order acknowledgment back to our customer via fax. This order acknowledgment is your confirmation that your order has been processed with your requested item numbers and quantities.

Ornaments – A useful designation for all those infrequently used highly decorative wall and ceiling motifs, such as garlands, leaves, scrolls, shells, shields, sunburst, and wreath embellishments. Ball ornaments include urns, acorns, pineapples, etc.

~ back to top ~

Peaked Pediment – A solid triangle pediment head unbroken along its perimeter and can be used on top of a crosshead.

Pediment – Used to describe the topmost member of a formal entryway. A pediment stacks above the crosshead and includes the caps or heads which ornament windows and interior doors.

Pilaster – A vertical column, often ornamental, that projects slightly from the wall. Most pilasters are purely decorative. Pilasters may be rectangular or half round and often have a base called a plinth block, a shaft, and a capital. Most pilasters are often used as simulated columns in entryways and other door openings.

Pitch – The incline slope of a roof or the ratio of the total rise to the total width of a house. The roof slope is expressed in the inches of rise per foot of run.

Pitch Block – A thick, massive filler block that can be field trimmed to adjust to various roof pitches.

PL Premium Adhesive – A urethane based construction adhesive that is superior for attaching and joining polyurethane millwork.

Plinth Block – A square block that fits at the base of a pilaster; it is thicker and wider than the pilaster. A plinth block can be fixed or loose.

Polyurethane Foam – A mixture of two resins that creates a chemical foaming reaction. Polyurethane foam is the component of all Apex products. Once cast and removed from the mold it is difficult to differentiate from a wood or plaster component. The characteristics of the finished urethane product include resistance to rotting, splitting, warping, paint peeling, chipping and insects.

Prime Coat Finish – A paint finish intended for a later application of paint. The first coat of paint in an application that consists of two or more coats.

Projection – The distance the millwork protrudes away from the surface.

~ back to top ~

Quarter Round Louver – Available in left and right hand configurations.

Quoin – A decoration forming an exterior outside corner of a building.

~ back to top ~

Railing – A horizontal bar supported at both ends or at intervals by posts, as in a balustrade and used as a barrier.

Rams Head Pediment – A scroll-like broken pediment with an urn in its open portion.

Rosette – A square block with a circular decorative design in the center usually used as a corner block as part of the casing around windows and doors.

RTV Silicone Mold – The production mold from which the actual urethane building products are molded or cast.

~ back to top ~

Scallop – One of a series of curves, shaped like semicircles, which form a border.

Sconce – A decorative wall bracket for candles or electric lights.

Shoe Moulding – Quarter round trim applied at the bottom of a baseboard where it meets the floor.

Sill Moulding – A moulding designed to resist or shed water away from a wall surface.

Soffit – Usually the underside of an overhanging cornice.

Spandrel – A decorative type of spindle system that covers the distance between columns and posts.

Standard Millwork – All of the products shown in the Apex Urethane Millwork catalogs.

Sunburst – A half round or segmented area, the lower center of which contains a sun-like figure with fanned sun rays radiating therefrom.

~ back to top ~

Trim – The finish materials in a building, such as mouldings, applied around openings or at the floor and ceiling of rooms.

Trim Strip – A decorative accessory that can be added to the breastboard of the crosshead or window head to create a more detailed appearance.

~ back to top ~

Undersill Trim – An accessory available through siding manufacturers for installing trim work. Undersill trim is a thinner type of J-Channel that allows the siding to be cut and fit into the undersill channel.

UV Stable – Sun rays will not affect the quality of the product.

~ back to top ~

Vent – (Ventilation) Provides an opening for the circulation of fresh air.

Victorian – Name assigned to the style of architecture prominent in the United States during the period 1860-1893.

~ back to top ~

Wainscoting – A lower interior wall surface that contrasts with the wall surface above it. An interior wall composed of two different interior wall surfaces, one above the other.

Window Crosshead – An ornamental form that resembles a lintel, which is a horizontal beam across the top of a door or window.

Window Panel – A decorative raised panel placed directly below a window. Other applications include placement in a series creating a wainscoting system, or around the front of a whirlpool tub to act as water resistant, decorating access panels.

Woodgrain / Stainable – Special moulded-in texture on the surface of urethane millwork resembling oak, redwood or cedar. The product will accept non-penetrating stain or paint. Apex provides all the resources you need to create, install and maintain your quality millwork products.

~ back to top ~